Plate joiners have greatly evolved in the recent past from an ordinary plate joiner to a modern plate joiner that has been specially designed to enhance fast and accurate cutting in a variety of woods. You can use a modern plate joiner to make strong plate joints a short period of time. The Makita PJ7000 and Makita 3901 are both ranked among the best modern plate joiners. This product review will help you determine which of these plate joiners is appropriate for your needs.
We will begin with the Makita PJ7000 in this product comparison review. This plate joiner offers very cool features that makes it favorable and convenient to use in many woodworking contracts. It is more advanced when compared to an ordinary plate joiner, given the fact that it comes with a slim and ergonomic body design. It also includes a cast aluminum pivot fence that helps in initiating three positive stops at 0, 45 and 90 degrees. It is carefully designed for accurate fence adjustments, thanks to its rack-and-pinion vertical fence design. It offers fast, accurate cutting in a wide range of woods because it is powered by a 5.6 AMP motor.
- Cam locks that are large and easy to operate when it comes to fence adjustments;
- 6 depth settings for stops at 0, 10, and 20 biscuits;
- Cast aluminum front body that makes it more durable;
- Non-spoiling rubber inserts that help in preventing the material from slipping;
- Accurate fence adjustments, thanks to the rack and pinion vertical fence operating system;
- Has three positive stops at 0, 45 and 90 degrees, thanks to the cast aluminum pivot fence;
- Delivers 11,000 RPM, thanks to the powerful 5.6 AMP motor;
- Ergonomic and slim body design for added comfort; and
- Large top grip handle to improve the handling;
The PJ7000 is double insulated and comes with a set plate, dust bag, angle guide, carbide-tipped blade and all these features helps the machine make stronger plate joints in a very short time.
The Makita 3901 is quite similar to the PJ7000 although it is considered as a more advanced model. The 3901 is designed for fine woodworking and furniture making. This product can easily combine speed and power to provide dead-on accurate plate joints that are strong. This product comes with a 1 year warranty and has a large top-grip handle for efficient control and provide comfort.
- Comes with 1 year warranty;
- Large top-grip handle for control and comfort;
- Accurate pinion and rack vertical fence adjustments;
- 6 depth setting, compatible with number 0, 10, and 20 biscuits; and
- Has powerful 5.6 AMP motor that provides 10,000 RPM.
When you purchase this product, you will get a plastic tool case, lock nut, inner flange, set plate, lock nut wrench, dust bag, angle guide, and a carbide-tipped blade. Other interesting features that come with this product include a double-insulation, large top-grip handle, easy-to-reach cam locks, a non-spoiling rubber strip insert, and a large top-grip handle. You can easily change the blades of this machine by simply loosening the knob on the blade door. The Makita 3901 has 3 positive stops at 0, 45, and 90 degrees, thanks to its cast-aluminum pivot fence. You can also use the rack-and-pinion fence adjustment to get exact measurements.
Although the Makita PJ7000 and Makita 3901 look alike, they both come with their intended purpose to accomplish a certain degree of task. Therefore, this means that they also have some differences apart from sharing most of the features. For example, the PJ7000 has a powerful 5.6 AMP motor that provides 11,000 RPM while the Makita 3901 has a powerful 5.6 AMP motor that provides 10,000 RPM. Therefore, if you want to accomplish your tasks faster, you can consider going for the PJ7000 since it comes with more speed when compared to the 3901. Your decision will therefore depend with the type of task that you are intending to carry out using a plate joiner.